PHILADELPHIA, PA — As part of its KEEP IT CLEAN PHILLY initiative, Philadelphia’s Streets Department is assisting local block captains with their neighborhood beautification and upkeep efforts. Through the Block Captain Beautification Grant, block captains can apply for funds of up to $500 to complete beautification projects on their blocks.
The Streets Department often hears from block captains and neighbors looking for assistance to beautify their blocks. Many have ideas for how to improve their blocks or community projects they started but have not completed because they lack funds. “Our block captains work hard to make their neighborhoods a better place to live, and face obstacles with keeping their blocks clean,” said Streets Commissioner Carlton Williams. “The Streets Department understands the challenges of keeping the city’s neighborhoods clean. That’s why we want to assist block captains in their beautification efforts. Projects like neighborhood gardens, play areas for children, or fresh paint on the curb line can make a huge difference for a block and can act as a catalyst for inspiring other beautification efforts to bring positivity to a neighborhood.”
To apply for the grant, block captains can visit keepitcleanphilly.org. To receive the grant, block captains must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee-registered Block Captain to apply (and be eligible)
- Must provide a detailed description of what the grant will be used to accomplish or purchase
- Must sign the agreement form
- Must provide an itemized list and proof of purchase/receipt for any materials used in your project
- Must provide before/after photos of your project
- Must use gift card funds on beautification-related purchases ONLY
- Must conduct a meeting with your block’s residents to obtain a consensus agreement on all block beautification purchases and activities
- Must agree to have your beautification activities (photos/videos) used for STREETS Department promotional purposes
Failure to provide the required items will result in disqualification to apply for any future grants. Grants can be used for beautification supplies (plants, flowers, paint and paint brushes, etc.) or tools and equipment for neighborhood upkeep (leaf blowers, brooms, rakes, gloves, shovels, snowblower, etc.) Block captains will receive a grant in the form of a VISA gift card of up to $500. The amount awarded will be based on the cost of supplies detailed for each project.
The Block Captain Beautification Grant is part of the Streets Department’s KEEP IT CLEAN PHILLY initiative. KEEP IT CLEAN PHILLY is the new initiative to increase enforcement and reduce illegal dumping. The Streets Department is improving surveillance with new mobile cameras near dumping hot spots, increasing penalties, and holding dumpers responsible for cleanup costs. Enforcement has never been more important, and the city has never been more committed.
“Keeping our city clean has never been tougher. Illegal dumping, litter, and excess trash are all big problems,” added Streets Commissioner Carlton Williams. “But the City is more committed than ever to address these issues with KEEP IT CLEAN PHILLY. From steeper penalties and better surveillance to more cleanups and mechanical sweeping, we’re improving enforcement, expanding programs, and increasing community partnerships for a cleaner city.”