2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA Warns of Above-Normal Activity, Impacting Pennsylvania and Mid-Atlantic Region

hurricane© janeb13 from Pixabay / Canva

PENNSYLVANIA — The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has recently updated its prediction for the ongoing Atlantic hurricane season 2023. The forecasters believe that the current ocean and atmospheric conditions, such as record-warm Atlantic sea surface temperatures, may lead to an above-normal level of hurricane activity. With that said, let’s delve deeper into what this prediction means for the Mid-Atlantic region and Pennsylvanians.

NOAA forecasters have increased the likelihood of an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season from 30% to 60%. At the start of the season, the outlook predicted near-normal activity levels, but this has decreased to 25%, whereas the chance of a below-normal season has decreased to 15%. The prediction outlook covers the entire six-month season that ends on Nov. 30 and calls for a range of 14-21 named storms, of which 6-11 could become hurricanes, and 2-5 could become major hurricanes.

While hurricanes do not typically hit Pennsylvania, the state can still experience the effects of hurricanes, such as heavy rainfall, flooding, and strong winds. For example, Hurricane Irene caused significant flooding in 2011, and Tropical Storm Isaias caused damage and power outages in 2020. Preparedness is key to ensuring safety during hurricane season. Pennsylvanians should prepare emergency kits, stay informed through local weather reports, and heed evacuation orders if applicable.

The NOAA prediction underscores the importance of hurricane preparedness. Pennsylvanians who live in coastal areas or areas that are prone to flooding should be especially vigilant. Even those who live inland should be aware of the potential for heavy rainfall and flooding. It’s essential to have an emergency plan in place for you and your family. Prepare for the worst-case scenario with ample food, water, and other supplies.

It’s worth noting that NOAA’s forecast is subject to change throughout the hurricane season. There are many variables at play, and it is difficult to predict precisely when and where hurricanes will strike. Additionally, there are still uncertainties with the ongoing El Nino event and its impact on Atlantic hurricane activity. The best course of action is to stay informed and prepared throughout the season.

The NOAA’s prediction of an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season underscores the importance of preparedness for Pennsylvanians. While the state may not experience direct hits from hurricanes, the potential for heavy rainfall and flooding is real. It’s vital to prepare for emergencies, stay informed through local weather reports, and heed evacuation orders if applicable. The prediction is subject to change throughout the season, and it’s important to stay vigilant regardless of the outlook. Stay prepared, and stay safe during this hurricane season.

For up-to-date information on your local weather conditions or guidance, be sure to check out MyChesCo Weather Center.

For the latest news on everything happening in Chester County and the surrounding area, be sure to follow MyChesCo on Google News.