LANDENBERG, PA — A traffic stop in the early hours of Saturday, December 9, 2023, led to the arrest of a Delaware man on multiple charges, according to the Southern Chester County Regional Police Department.
At approximately 1:07am, officers initiated the traffic stop at the 200 block of Starr Road. The driver, identified as Manuel Sarante-Castillo, 40, of New Castle, DE, reportedly exhibited several signs of intoxication.
Upon further investigation, officers determined that Sarante-Castillo was incapable of safely operating his vehicle. He was subsequently taken into custody on suspicion of Driving Under the Influence (DUI).
During a search of the vehicle, officers discovered a Hi Point .45 caliber firearm with an obliterated serial number in the rear passenger seat. The firearm was seized, and the search was concluded.
Sarante-Castillo was transported to Chester County Prison. Unable to post the $25,000 monetary bail, he awaits a preliminary hearing scheduled for December 15, 2023, at the District Court.
The charges against Sarante-Castillo include:
- Possession of firearms by persons not permitted
- Driving under the influence of a controlled substance
- Incapacity to drive safely
- Fraudulent use/removal of a registration plate
- Driving without a license
- Failure to exhibit a driver’s license on demand
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Possession of a firearm with an altered manufacturer’s number
The Southern Chester County Regional Police Department emphasizes that these accusations are allegations. Sarante-Castillo, like all suspects, is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Further details may emerge as the investigation continues.