If you’re over 50 and looking for love, you’re not alone. According to a 2018 poll by Morning Consult, one in five internet users ages 55 to 64 said they’ve used a dating app or service, and that figure is 1 in 10 for those 65 and older. The overall number of 55- to 64-year-olds who have dabbled in dating sites or mobile dating apps doubled to 12 percent in 2016 from 6 percent in 2013, according to the Pew Research Center. So how do you succeed at online dating after 50? Here are 5 tips!
1. Be Honest In Your Profile About Your Age And What You’re Looking For
A recent study conducted by OurTime.com found that people over the age of 50 are the fastest-growing group of online daters. If you’re considering jumping into the online dating pool, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First and foremost, be honest in your profile about your age and what you’re looking for.
Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number
One of the best pieces of advice for online dating after 50 is to be honest about your age. Many people feel inclined to round down their age by a few years, but you shouldn’t do this. First, it’s not accurate and secondly, if you meet someone in person who appears to be much older or younger than they said they were, it can be quite a turnoff. If you’re not comfortable with revealing your exact age, consider putting your birth year instead of your current age.
What Are You Looking For?
This is another important piece of advice for online dating after 50. When filling out your profile, be clear and concise about what you’re looking for. Are you looking for a casual fling or a serious relationship? If you’re not sure, that’s okay. Just be honest about it in your profile so that potential matches know what they’re getting themselves into. Honesty really is the best policy when it comes to online dating (or dating in general).
The world of online dating can be daunting, especially if you’re over the age of 50. But it doesn’t have to be! Just remember to be honest about your age and what you’re looking for and you’ll be swimming in potential matches in no time.
2. A Complete Profile Is Key to Success
If you’re over 50 and looking for love, you might be wondering how to navigate the world of online dating. You’re not alone—many seniors are dipping their toes into the online dating pool for the first time. And while online dating can be daunting at any age, it can be especially tricky if you’re not sure how to present yourself. That’s why we’ve got some tips on how to create a dating profile that will help you attract the right kind of attention from potential matches.
- Use recent, high-quality photos. One of the most important things you can do when creating your profile is to use recent, high-quality photos. That means no selfies, no grainy iPhone pics, and no shots taken from far away in an attempt to hide your age. Use pictures that show you at your best and that represent the real you— after all, that’s who you want your matches to get to know!
- Write about what you’re looking for. Be specific when writing about what you’re looking for in a partner. Do you want someone who shares your love of hiking, or someone who lives in the same city as you? Perhaps you’re looking for someone who has children, or someone who is divorced like you are. Whatever it is that you want, make sure to include it in your profile so that potential matches know what they’re signing up for.
- Don’t forget to mention your hobbies and interests! Your hobbies and interests are a great way to give potential matches an idea of what you like to do in your free time. Do you like spending time outdoors? Are you a fan of books, movies, or music? Listing your hobbies and interests will not only help others get to know you better, but it may also help them decide if they’d like to pursue a relationship with you.
- Be honest about your age—and don’t lie about anything else! We all want to put our best foot forward when it comes to online dating, but it’s important to be honest about who we are and what we’re looking for—otherwise, we’re just wasting each other’s time. So be upfront about your age, your lifestyle choices, and anything else that might be important for potential matches to know. Lying about any of these things will only lead to disappointment down the road.
Creating a dating profile can seem daunting at first glance, but by following these simple tips, you’ll be well on your way to attracting attention from potential matches in no time! Just remember: be honest, use high-quality photos, and don’t forget to mention your hobbies and interests so that others can get to know the real you. With a little effort (and maybe even a little bit of fun), you’ll be on your way to finding lasting love after 50!
3. Don’t Be Afraid to Reach Out!
It can be tough getting back into the dating game after a long hiatus. Maybe you’ve been out of the market for a while, or maybe you’ve never ventured into the world of online dating. Whatever your situation, it’s important to remember that there’s no shame in reaching out to someone you’re interested in. In fact, online dating is a great way to meet people outside of your social circle. So don’t be afraid to take the plunge!
Here are a few tips for online dating success after 50:
- Remember that everyone is in the same boat. A lot of people your age are also looking for love, so you’re not alone. Embrace it and have fun!
- Don’t be afraid to reach out to people you’re interested in. A simple “Hello, I saw your profile and thought you seemed like a nice person” message can go a long way.
- Be yourself! People can see through phoniness, so it’s important to be authentic in your profile and in your messages. Just be yourself and let the relationship unfold naturally.
Whether you’re 5 or 50 years old, online dating can be a great way to meet new people outside of your social circle. The important thing is to be yourself and have fun! Don’t be afraid to reach out to people you’re interested in; a simple message could lead to something wonderful.
4. Keep an Open Mind and Be Willing to Explore New Possibilities
At any age, dating can be a daunting prospect. But for older Americans, who have perhaps been out of the game for a while, it can feel especially intimidating. The good news is that there are more ways than ever to meet someone special, thanks to the advent of online dating. And if you’re willing to keep an open mind and explore new possibilities, you may just find that love knows no age limit.
Online Dating for Seniors: A How-To Guide
Thanks to the internet, there are more ways than ever to meet people, including online dating sites and apps. If you’re interested in giving online dating a try but not sure where to start, here are a few tips:
- Choose the right site or app for you. There are many different dating sites and apps available, each catering to a different type of person. Take some time to research which one would be the best fit for you and your interests. For example, if you’re looking for someone with similar religious beliefs, there are dating sites specifically for Christians, Jews, Muslims, and other faith groups. Or if you’re looking for someone who shares your passion for a certain hobby or activity, there are dating sites for runners, cyclists, pet lovers, and more. There’s sure to be a site or app that’s perfect for you.
- Create a profile that represents the real you. Once you’ve chosen a site or app, it’s time to create your profile. This is your opportunity to show potential matches who you are and what makes you unique. So be honest about yourself—your age, your interests, your likes and dislikes. Don’t try to be someone you’re not; chances are good that eventually your true self will come out anyway. And don’t forget to post a recent picture of yourself!
- Be proactive and reach out to people first. Once your profile is created, it’s up to you to make the first move and reach out to people you’re interested in getting to know better. Don’t be afraid to send a message first; most people on dating sites appreciate confidence and initiative. You never know who might respond—and even if they don’t turn out to be a romantic match, they could still become a great friend.
Taking the plunge into online dating can be scary at any age. But by keeping an open mind and being willing to explore new possibilities, you may just find that love knows no age limit—and that meeting people can be fun at any stage in life!
5. Have Fun! Dating Should Be Enjoyable, Not Stressful
After a divorce, starting to date again can be daunting. Especially if it has been a while since you were last single. The rules may have changed since you last played the dating game, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun! Here are a few tips on how to make online dating after 50 fun instead of stressful.
- Join a dating site that is specific to your interests. There are plenty of dating sites out there and new ones pop up all the time. Do some research and find one (or more!) that fit you best. This way, you’ll already have something in common with the people you’re meeting and it’ll be easier to strike up a conversation.
- Don’t take things too seriously. Online dating should be fun! You’re getting to know someone new and there’s no pressure to rush into anything serious. Enjoy the process and see where things go.
- Be honest about what you’re looking for. This goes for your profile and for when you’re chatting with someone new. If you’re not looking for anything serious, say so! It’ll save everyone a lot of time and effort (not to mention heartache) in the long run.
- Be yourself! This is perhaps the most important tip of all. Be authentic and genuine in your conversations and interactions with others. People can tell when you’re being fake and it’s a major turn-off. Just relax, be yourself, and have fun!
Dating after 50 doesn’t have to be scary or stressful. By following these simple tips, you can make online dating an enjoyable experience that might even lead to something more serious down the line. So don’t be afraid to get back out there and start meeting new people—you might just surprise yourself with how much fun you have!
Dating after 50 Can Be Fun and Exciting!
Dating after 50 can be fun and exciting, but it takes a little bit of effort to find someone with whom you share common interests and values. Use these tips as your guide to finding love online, and good luck! And don’t forget to sign up for our free newsletter so you can stay up-to-date on the latest trends and advice!
This article is intended for informational, entertainment or educational purposes only and should not be construed as advice, guidance or counsel. It is provided without warranty of any kind.