CHESTER COUNTY, PA — Over the past four months, kids have shown how adaptable they truly are – from wearing masks to learning online. Yet, kids still need time to simply be kids, and sports at the YMCA of Greater Brandywine (YGBW) are a great way to give them that opportunity.
YGBW is kicking off its fall youth soccer leagues for kids ages 4-9 who are sure to have some pent up energy. And of course, the YMCA has implemented new safety measures to protect everyone’s health and safety. These include but are not limited to:
- Coaches will wear masks.
- Defensive and offensive plays will not cross the mid-field line to avoid “bunch ball.”
- Shaking hands, fist bumps and high fives are not permitted.
- Spectators will practice social distancing.
- All games will be played at players’ home YMCA branch. There will not be any traveling.
- All coaches, players and teams will bring their own water and snacks.
In addition to these health and safety measures, the Y also focuses on keeping fun in the game. “Kids have a great time in YGBW’s soccer leagues because they not only promote a healthy lifestyle but also teamwork, sportsmanship and most of all, fun,” said Aaron Karpas, executive director of the Jennersville YMCA.
“In fact, approximately 70 percent of kids stop playing organized sports by the age of 13 because they say it’s not fun anymore. That’s why the YMCA works to keep fun in the game.”
The Y’s sports leagues also teach skills that benefit children throughout their lives – teamwork, sportsmanship, leadership, confidence and more. Children get to have fun and spend time with their friends while staying active and learning new skills.
Practices begin the week of September 7 and will be held once weekly. Games run September 19-November 7 and will be held once weekly on Saturday. No previous soccer experience is required.
YGBW Branches running youth soccer leagues include:
- Brandywine YMCA – 295 Hurley Road, Coatesville, PA 19320
- Kennett Area YMCA – 101 Race Street, Kennett Square, PA 19348
- Lionville Community YMCA – 100 Devon Drive, Exton, PA 19341
- Jennersville YMCA – 880 W. Baltimore Pike, West Grove, PA 19390
- Upper Main Line YMCA – 1416 Berwyn-Paoli Road, Berwyn, PA 19312
Registration is now open; the deadline to register is August 31. YMCA membership is not required, however, member rates are available. Each player receives their own soccer ball and jersey.
For additional information and to register visit ymcagbw.org/soccer.
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to products, identified by the icon. MyChesCo may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.