It is estimated that 81% of drivers read and type text messages while driving, 70% use social media while driving and 50% say their smartphone is essential for getting around, according to AT&T It Can Wait.
What can you do to keep the roads safe by limiting distractions?
1) Use your phone’s built-in tools: Set your phone to Do Not Disturb, and avoid phone calls even if they are hands free. Preset your navigation and any preferences.
2) Don’t cut corners: Avoid texting or using your phone in stop-and-go traffic or at lights.
3) If it’s an emergency, pull over: No call is worth jeopardizing the safety of you and your passengers.
4) Recruit a navigator: If you’re driving with a passenger, enlist them to perform navigation and other tasks like climate control and audio selection.
5) Hands on the wheel: Resist personal grooming, eating and drinking while driving.
6) Leave pets at home: If you must travel with your pet, don’t let them roam freely in the car.
7) Utilize technology when it makes sense: Telematics programs like the USAA SafePilot App can bring undesirable driving behaviors like phone handling to light, and encourage safer driving by offering auto insurance savings.
For additional information on the USAA SafePilot App, visit usaa.com/safepilot.
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.