PHILADELPHIA, PA — Special Smiles, an organization that provides comprehensive oral health care for people with physical and intellectual disabilities, has launched free online Oral Health Resources for family members and caregivers of individuals with special needs. The online resource is available at no cost and includes 10 instructional videos featuring pediatric dentist Bari Levine, DMD, MPH, of Growing Smiles Main Line Pediatric Dentistry, and Deborah and Marc Jastrebski, co-founders of Practice Without Pressure.
“Individuals with special needs often have unique concerns when it comes to oral health care,” says Mark Goldstein, DDS, Founder of Special Smiles. Over nearly 20 years, Special Smiles has served more than 30,000 patients with disabilities.
“We work as a team to provide a place of comfort and an elevated treatment experience for every patient, which includes proactive education on how to improve and maintain daily oral hygiene,” said Dr. Goldstein. “We are happy to share our expertise on all topics related to oral health care and how people with special needs can receive needed care.”
In addition to the free videos, a representative from Special Smiles is available at no cost to speak to groups serving families with special needs. Talks can be in-person or virtual, a presentation and Q&A, or both. Visit https://bit.ly/3spuKh1 for more details.
In the first six videos in the series, Dr. Levine provides tips on nutrition and oral health, fluoride and tooth decay, best practices in toothbrushing for people with special needs, flossing, and care of dentures. Then in a set of four videos, the Jastrebskis – a mother and son team – discuss non-stressful strategies to help individuals with special needs cooperate with, and participate in, maintaining oral health.
- Video 1: How Nutrition Affects Oral Health
- Video 2: You Have the Power: Improving Oral Health and Overall Health
- Video 3: How Fluoride Helps Prevent Tooth Decay
- Video 4: Tips on Toothbrushing – You Can Do it!
- Video 5: Don’t Forget to Floss … and Here’s How!
- Video 6: Care of Dentures
- Video 7: Setting Expectations
- Video 8: Strategies to Keep the Atmosphere Calm: Power of 1 Second, Positioning
- Video 9: Responsible Choices, Keep Trying
- Video 10: Making Progress, Take the Pressure off
To learn more about Special Smiles, please call 267-639-6250 or email email@example.com.