DELAWARE — Electric vehicle drivers will have more opportunities to charge up along Delaware roads with the installation of 14 new DC Fast Charging stations funded by the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.
Grants were awarded to several businesses and one Delaware municipality for the 14 sites. The chargers will be accessible to the public 24 hours a day and users will pay a fee for powering their vehicles.
The 14 project locations represent a variety of charging location types and manufacturers, and reflect geographic diversity across the state. The projects selected for funding will be in downtown areas, shopping centers, hotels and traditional fueling centers, and will provide both en-route charging opportunities and neighborhood charging opportunities.
“These charging stations represent the first wave of major investments in Delaware to build out a network of reliable and convenient fast electric vehicle charging stations for our residents and visitors” said Shawn M. Garvin, DNREC Secretary. “It doesn’t stop here. DNREC and DelDOT are working together on an electric vehicle infrastructure plan that will guide future investments and programs to ensure a smooth transition to a cleaner, more equitable transportation system.”
Transportation is the largest single source of greenhouse gas emissions in Delaware. Building out the state’s charging network will accommodate the growing number of electric vehicles on the roads and is among the strategies identified in Delaware’s Climate Action Plan to reduce emissions.
The funding builds upon Delaware Clean Transportation Incentive Programs, which include a suite of rebates for light-duty vehicles and Level 2 charging stations. Funding for the DC Fast Charging Stations comes from the Environmental Mitigation Trust, a negotiated settlement between Volkswagen and the federal government.
Locations, where new DC Fast Charging Stations will be installed, include:
- Wawa (Claymont): 2621 Philadelphia Pike
- ShopRite (Wilmington): 1600 W. Newport Pike
- Shore Stop (New Castle): 906 S. Dupont Highway
- Budget Inn (New Castle) 3 Memorial Drive
- Candlewood Suites (Newark): 1101 S. College Avenue
- City of Milford (Milford): 200 N. Front Street
- Comfort Inn Suites (Dover): 1654 N. Dupont Highway
- Quality Inn (Smyrna): 190 Stadium Street
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites (Harrington): 17271 S. Dupont Highway
- Quality Inn & Suites (Georgetown): 20530 Dupont Boulevard
- Comfort Inn Suites (Seaford): 23420 Sussex Highway
- Arby’s (Lewes): 17719 Coastal Highway
- Gulf (PepUp Bethany Beach): 32919 Coastal Highway
- Arby’s (Millsboro): 28669 Dupont Boulevard
For more information, visit the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control website.
For the latest news on everything happening in Chester County and the surrounding area, be sure to follow MyChesCo on Google News.
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.