PENNSYLVANIA — Education and outreach staff from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) will be hosting and participating in numerous presentations for groups of senior citizens, service providers and the public throughout the month of October to promote financial capability and provide investor education.
October outreach events, in partnership with the listed organizations, will be held in person and are open to the public unless otherwise noted.
EVENTS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Avoiding Scams and ID Theft: This program looks at ways people’s identities are stolen or compromised, what you can do if you find you have had your identity stolen, and how to stop theft from occurring. It will also review common scams and frauds.
- InterMetro Industries Corporation, 651 N. Washington St., Wilkes-Barre (Luzerne County) on Oct. 4 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. For more information contact Kim Graham at 570-706-4137 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Triton Hose Company, 116 W. Tioga St., Tunkhannock (Wyoming County) on Oct. 27 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact Julie Williams at 570-836-4777.
Cybersecurity: This in-person presentation helps to educate and inform about current cybersecurity risks and how you can protect yourself and loved ones. Registration is required for this event.
- Cranberry Public Library, 2525 Rochester Rd., Suite 300, Cranberry Township (Butler County) on Oct. 3 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM. For more information contact Megan Babal at 724-776-9100 ext. 126 or email@example.com.
EVENTS FOR OLDER ADULTS
Spending Plans – A Road to Financial Success: An in-person session focusing on the need for a spending plan so that people can achieve their financial goals will be held at the Golden Connections Community Center, 20 Gotham Place, Red Lion (York County) on Oct. 5 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For more information contact Kasie Ream at 717-244-7229.
ScamJam!: A conference bringing experts in finance and consumer protection to present to the public. It focuses on investing and fraud prevention. These in-person events will be held at the following locations:
- LifeSpan Bethel Park, 5151 Park Ave., Bethel Park (Allegheny County) on Oct. 5 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Registration is required for this event. For more information contact Sami Burnworth at 412-831-7111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Little Meadows Fire Hall, Maple Avenue, Little Meadows (Susquehanna County) on Oct. 11 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Registration is required for this event. For more information contact Pam DeRose at 570-278-3751 or email@example.com.
- Thompson Hose Co., 53 Water St., Thompson (Susquehanna County) on Oct. 12 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Registration is required for this event. For more information contact Pam DeRose at 570-278-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Susquehanna County Library, 458 High School Rd., Montrose (Susquehanna County) on Oct. 13 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Registration is required for this event. For more information contact Pam DeRose at 570-278-3751 or email@example.com.
Banking in the 21st Century: This presentation is an overview of how banks and credit unions work. We also discuss the differences between types of accounts; the importance of balancing accounts; what to do if you have had banking issues in the past; what types of questions you should ask before opening an account; and what deposit insurance does and does not cover. This will be held at the Southern Blair Senior Center, 15229 Dunnings Highway, East Freedom (Blair County) on Oct. 18 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. For more information contact Karen Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fraud Bingo: Join us for a fun and interactive gathering that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing a familiar game – BINGO! These in-person events will be held at the following locations:
- Bensalem Veteran Residence, 3055 Mechanicsville Rd., Bensalem (Bucks County) on Oct. 19 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. For more information contact Sheriva Mohammed at email@example.com.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Apartments, 830 Crown Ave., Scranton (Lackawanna County) on Oct. 20 from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact Alicia Spencer at 610-270-1989 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Millville Senior Group, 245 East Main St., Millville (Columbia County) on Oct. 25 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Open to Millville Senior Group members only.
STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow): This program discusses retirement planning. The goal is to help you determine what your retirement goals are and how to help you get there. No matter where you are in the timeline for retirement, early career, mid-career or late career, know that it’s never too late to STaRT. This VIRTUAL program will be held on Oct. 19 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. For more information and to register contact Amanda Scharrer at 717-761-3900 or email@example.com.
LEGISLATIVE EXPOS AND EVENTS
Outreach staff will also be available at the following legislative events:
- Sen. Pat Stefano, Rep. Ryan Warner and Rep. Charity Grimm Krupa’s Senior Expo at Penn State Fayette – The Eberly Campus, 2201 University Dr., Lemont Furnace (Fayette County) on Oct. 6 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact Marla Wiest at 717-772-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sen. Jarrett Coleman’s Senior Expo at Upper Bucks Technical School, 3155 Ridge Rd., Perkasie (Bucks County) on Oct. 12 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For more information contact Robert Arena at email@example.com.
- Rep. Causer’s Roulette Expo at the Roulette Fire Department, 12 River St., Roulette (Potter County) on Oct. 13 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For more information contact Rhonda Race at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sen. John DiSanto’s Veterans Appreciation Breakfast at the Scottish Rite Theatre, 2701 N. 3rd St., Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Oct. 19 from 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM. This event is free for veterans and one guest. For registration or more information contact John Fulponi at 717-705-7177 or email@example.com.
- Rep. Kristine Howard’s Senior Expo at West Whiteland Township Building, 101 Commerce Dr., Exton (Chester County) on Oct. 19 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact Diane Welsh at 610-251-1070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ladore Senior Expo 2023 with Rep. Jonathan Fritz at the Ladore Pavillion, 287 Owego Turnpike, Waymart (Wayne County) on Oct. 26 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM. For more information contact Linda O’Hara at email@example.com.
- Rep. Matt Bradford’s Senior Expo at Meadowood Senior Living, 3505 Skippack Pike, Worcester (Montgomery County) on Oct. 26 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. For more information contact Melissa Retano at 610-222-3490 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ScamJam with Sen. Tracy Pennycuick at Brittany Pointe Estates, 10011 S. Valley Forge Rd., Lansdale (Montgomery County) on Oct. 30 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact Shaina Ward at 215-541-3110 or email@example.com.
- ScamJam with Sen. Maria Collett at Horsham Township Community Center, 1025 Horsham Rd., Horsham (Montgomery County) on Oct. 31 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact Bailey Landis at 215-688-0493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace.
Visit the department’s calendar of events to find an event near you.
For the latest news on everything happening in Chester County and the surrounding area, be sure to follow MyChesCo on Google News.