WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Internal Revenue Service announced that Free File remains available through Oct. 15 for those taxpayers who still need to file their 2020 tax returns.
Free File is the IRS’ public-private partnership with tax preparation software industry leaders to provide their brand-name products for free.
Free File provides two ways for taxpayers to prepare and file their federal income tax online for free:
- Traditional IRS Free File provides free online tax preparation and filing options on IRS partner sites. Taxpayers whose adjusted gross income (AGI) is $72,000 or less qualify for any IRS Free File partner offers.
- For taxpayers whose income (AGI) is greater than $72,000, there’s the Free File Fillable Forms option. It provides electronic federal tax forms that can be filled out and filed online for free. To use this option taxpayers should know how to prepare their own tax return.
Always start at IRS.gov:
- From the homepage select File Your Taxes for Free
- Pick an option based on income
- Follow links to the chosen Free File provider’s website
Taxpayers who requested the six-month filing extension should complete their tax returns and file on or before the Oct. 15 deadline.
Only current year tax returns can be filed using IRS Free File. The IRS does not allow electronic filing for prior year returns through self-preparation websites.
Prior year returns can only be filed electronically by registered tax preparers for the two previous tax years. Otherwise, taxpayers must print, sign and mail prior year returns.
The IRS states the Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers with Credentials and Select Qualifications lists qualified local preparers.
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.