WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Thursday, Representative Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA) co-sponsored the Protecting Pre-existing Conditions & Making Health Care More Affordable Act of 2019. The bill bolsters the Affordable Care Act by continuing protections for consumers with pre-existing conditions, improving marketplace stability, and ensuring comprehensive benefits, among others.
“I am proud to bring this sweeping health care package to my community in Pennsylvania and to my fellow Americans,” said Houlahan. “Every American has the right to access quality and affordable health care, and no American with pre-existing conditions should ever be denied. Co-sponsoring the Protecting Pre-existing Conditions & Making Health Care More Affordable Act of 2019 is an important first step in delivering on that promise to the Pennsylvanian Sixth.”
This bill will:
Lower health insurance premiums with strengthened and expanded affordability assistance
- Strengthening tax credits in the Marketplace to lower Americans’ health insurance premiums and allows more middle-class individuals and families to qualify for subsidies;
- Ensuring that families who don’t have an offer of affordable coverage from an employer can still qualify for subsidies in the Marketplace; and,
- Providing funding for reinsurance, to help with high cost claims, improve Marketplace stability, and prevent the Trump Administration’s sabotage from raising premiums.
Strengthen protections for people with pre-existing conditions
- Curtailing the Trump Administration’s efforts to give states waivers to undermine protections for people with pre-existing conditions and weaken standards for essential health benefits, which would leave consumers with less comprehensive plans that do not cover needed services, such as prescription drugs, maternity care, and substance use disorder treatment.
Stop insurance companies from selling junk health insurance plans
- Stopping the Trump Administration’s efforts to push Americans into junk health insurance plans that do not provide coverage for essential medical treatments and drugs, and that are allowed to discriminate against people with pre-existing medical conditions.
Reverse the GOP’s health care sabotage that has needlessly driven up premiums and uninsured rates, and empower states to innovate and invest in enrolling more people in affordable health coverage
- Reversing the Trump Administration’s sabotage by requiring open enrollment outreach, education, and funding for navigators;
- Investing in state efforts to conduct outreach to increase enrollment, educate consumers of their rights, and help individuals navigate the health insurance system;
- Empowering states to implement new approaches to increasing enrollment and allows states to set up their own Marketplaces; and
- Holding the Administration accountable for its use of federal dollars dedicated to increasing enrollment, outreach and running the federal exchange.
Houlahan is an Air Force veteran, an engineer, a serial entrepreneur, an educator, and a nonprofit leader. She’s in her first term representing Pennsylvania’s 6th Congressional District, which encompasses Chester County and southern Berks County. She serves on the House Armed Services Committee, the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and the House Small Business Committee.
Source: Representative Chrissy Houlahan, Representing the 6th District of Pennsylvania
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.