WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Federal Trade Commission announced it is seeking comment on topics related to the use of digital “dark patterns,” a range of potentially deceptive or unfair user interface designs used on websites and mobile apps, that will be discussed at the agency’s April 29, 2021 workshop.
The FTC is seeking comment on several topics that will be discussed at the workshop, Bringing Dark Patterns to Light: An FTC Workshop, including:
- The definition of dark patterns;
- The prevalence of dark patterns in the marketplace;
- The use of artificial intelligence and machine learning to design and deliver dark patterns;
- The effectiveness of dark patterns at influencing consumer choice, decision-making, or behavior;
- The harms dark patterns pose to consumers or competition; and
- Ways to prevent, mitigate, and remediate the harmful effects of dark patterns.
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.