WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Federal Trade Commission announced it is seeking comment on topics related to the use of digital “dark patterns,” a range of potentially deceptive or unfair user interface designs used on websites and mobile apps, that will be discussed at the agency’s April 29, 2021 workshop.
The FTC is seeking comment on several topics that will be discussed at the workshop, Bringing Dark Patterns to Light: An FTC Workshop, including:
- The definition of dark patterns;
- The prevalence of dark patterns in the marketplace;
- The use of artificial intelligence and machine learning to design and deliver dark patterns;
- The effectiveness of dark patterns at influencing consumer choice, decision-making, or behavior;
- The harms dark patterns pose to consumers or competition; and
- Ways to prevent, mitigate, and remediate the harmful effects of dark patterns.
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to products, identified by the icon. MyChesCo may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.