Man on Oxygen Killed While Smoking a Cigarette, North Coventry Police Say

North Coventry Police Department

POTTSTOWN, PA — North Coventry Township Police are investigating the death of a man after a medical oxygen generator caught on fire in North Coventry Township on Friday.

Authorities state that on June 17, 2022, at 08:14 AM, officers were dispatched to a residence on Mt. Zion Avenue for a person who was injured by fire from a medical oxygen generator.  Upon arrival, Medics from Goodwill Ambulance were on the scene performing CPR on the male victim.  Police were advised that the male victim was attempting to light a cigarette while wearing a nasal cannula for oxygen, causing an oxygen-induced flame inuring the male victim.  The victim was transported to the Pottstown Hospital Tower Health by Goodwill Ambulance.

Police were notified later that morning by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office that the male victim succumbed to his injuries.

READ:  North Coventry Police Investigating Theft from Motor Vehicles

Goodwill Ambulance, Norco Fire Company, and the North Coventry Township Fire Marshal assisted the North Coventry Township Police Department during this incident.

Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.