Editor’s Note: Initially, MyChesCo pulled county-specific COVID-19 data from the Chester County Health Department’s COVID-19 Dashboard. However, over time, that data became inconsistent and unreliable. Therefore, going forward, except where noted, MyChesCo will be using data from the Pennsylvania National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (PA-NEDSS) as the primary data source for our daily updates. Unfortunately, this means we will no longer publish a breakdown by municipality. We apologize for any inconvenience. All data is provisional and subject to change as new information becomes available.
CHESTER COUNTY, PA — The Pennsylvania National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (PA-NEDSS) today confirmed 26 additional positive cases of COVID-19 in Chester County, bringing the countywide total to 2,390, which includes 248 deaths. All active cases are either in isolation at home or being treated at the hospital.
In long term care facilities and personal care homes, there are 686 resident cases of COVID-19 at 37 of 75 distinct facilities in Chester County. Out of the total deaths from COVID-19 in the county, 179 have occurred in residents from long term care facilities or personal care facilities.(1)
There have been a total of 10,419 Chester County residents who tested negative for the COVID-19 virus to date. Neither the Chester County Health Department nor the Pennsylvania Department of Health provide data on the number of currently active versus recovered COVID-19 patients.
Hospital Data for Chester County
- Available Adult ICU Beds: 61
- Available Medical/Surgical Beds: 130
- Available Pediatric ICU Beds: 0
- Available Airborne Isolation Room Beds: 62
- Total Number of Vents: 133
- Ventilators in Use (COVID-19): 15
- Ventilators in Use (non-COVID-19): 24
Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Neighboring Counties
The health data below lists the confirmed cases in neighboring counties:
- Berks County, Pennsylvania – Cases: 3,885 | Deaths: 296
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania – Cases: 6,525 | Deaths: 633
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania – Cases: 6,179 | Deaths: 514
- New Castle County, Delaware(2) – Cases: 3,309 | Deaths: 148
- Cecil County, Maryland(3) – Cases: 345 | Deaths: 21
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania – Cases: 2,854 | Deaths: 279
Statewide Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cases
Additionally, the Pennsylvania Department of Health officially confirmed the statewide total has reached 67,713 across all 67 counties, as of May 24, with a total of 5,124 deaths.
“As counties move from red to yellow, we need all Pennsylvanians to continue to follow the social distancing and mitigation efforts in place,” Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine said. “We must continue to protect our most vulnerable Pennsylvanians, which includes our seniors, those with underlying health issues, our healthcare workers and our first responders. I am proud of the work that Pennsylvanians have done so far, but we cannot stop now, we must continue to take the necessary steps to protect ourselves from COVID-19.”
Statewide, there is a total of 328,382 patients who tested negative for the COVID-19 virus to date. There are 531 patients who have a positive serology test and either COVID-19 symptoms or a high-risk exposure, which are considered probable cases and not confirmed cases.
Of the patients who have tested positive, based on statewide numbers, the age breakdown is as follows:(4)
- Less than 1% are aged 0-4;
- Less than 1% are aged 5-12;
- Less than 2% are aged 13-18;
- Less than 6% are aged 19-24;
- Less than 37% are aged 25-49;
- 25% are aged 50-64; and
- Less than 29% are aged 65 or older.
Most of the patients hospitalized are aged 65 or older, and most of the deaths have occurred in patients 65 or older. More statewide data is available here.
In nursing and personal care homes, there are 14,607 resident cases of COVID-19, and 2,457 cases among employees, for a total of 17,064 at 591 distinct facilities in 44 counties.
Out of the total deaths, 3,357 have occurred in residents from nursing or personal care facilities. Data for specific long-term care facilities in Pennsylvania, including Department of Health and Department of Human Services regulated facilities is available here.
Approximately 5,099 of Pennsylvania’s total cases are in health care workers.
Non-life-sustaining businesses in the red phase are ordered to be closed and schools are closed statewide through the remainder of the academic year. Currently, 49 counties are in the yellow phase of reopening.
Health officials stress the role every person plays in helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover any coughs or sneezes with your elbow, not your hands.
- Clean surfaces frequently.
- Stay home to avoid spreading COVID-19, especially if you are unwell.
- If you must go out for a life-sustaining reason, please wear a mask.
(1) Data provided by the Chester County Health Department as of 05/19/2020. Please note, the Pennsylvania National Electronic Disease Surveillance System has changed the way it reports statistics from long term care facilities and personal care homes, requiring us to rely on the Chester County Health Department for a county total, which is often delayed by several days.
(2) Provided by the Delaware Health Department. Data is provisional and subject to change as new information becomes available.
(3) Provided by the Maryland Department of Health based on the most recently available information. All data are preliminary and are subject to change based on additional reporting.
(4) Percentages may not total 100% due to rounding.
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.