Buy Us a Cup of Coffee

Department of Human Services Awards $8 Million in Grants to Improve Coordination of Care for Medicaid Patients

Department of Human Services Awards $8 Million in Grants to Improve Coordination of Care for Medicaid Patients

HARRISBURG, PA — Department of Human Services (DHS) Secretary Teresa Miller recently announced that DHS, in conjunction with the Pennsylvania eHealth Partnership Program, has awarded nearly $8 million in onboarding grant funds to increase efficiency in the delivery of health care services to Medicaid patients.

The grants will help connect hospitals, nursing homes, and ambulatory practices to the Pennsylvania Patient & Provider Network, or P3N, which enables electronic health information exchange (eHIE) across the state through the connection of health care providers to health information organizations (HIO), and the participation of the HIOs in the P3N.

“Through this program, we are coordinating communication across health care providers in order to enable the highest quality of health care for patients,” said DHS Secretary Teresa Miller. “These grants assist providers in the efficient delivery of quality services to individuals across the commonwealth. As more providers participate, individuals will experience better coordination of care and a better quality of health care.”

READ:  May 24 Coronavirus Update: 2,390 Cases with 248 Deaths in Chester County from COVID-19

Grants have been awarded to all four Pennsylvania HIOs to enable the connection of Inpatient Hospital/Facility’s and Outpatient Practices or Other Outpatient Provider Organizations participating in the Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Program. Awardees are:

  • ClinicalConnect Health Information Exchange awarded $1,030,000
  • HealthShare Exchange awarded $3,320,000
  • Keystone Health Information Exchange awarded $3,150,000
  • Mount Nittany Exchange awarded $495,000

The awardees will use their funds to connect over 190 entities. A list of entities that will be connected is available at dhs.pa.gov/…/2018onboardinggrantrecipients.

P3N recently launched a real-time statewide encounter notification service to enable improved care coordination. The statewide Admission, Discharge, Transfer (ADT) notification service became operational on January 31, 2018, with three regional HIOs and eight hospital emergency departments sending real-time ADTs; this service notifies physicians if their patient has been admitted to, discharged from, or transferred between inpatient facilities, in order to assist physicians in providing follow-up care and care coordination.

READ:  May 22 Coronavirus Update: 2,320 Cases with 238 Deaths in Chester County from COVID-19

This program is made possible through a grant from the federal Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Under the terms of the federal grant, CMS provides 90 percent of the onboarding grant, with the remaining 10 percent funded by the commonwealth.

To learn more about the Pennsylvania eHealth Partnership visit www.dhs.pa.gov.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Human Services

Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.

Buy Us a Cup of Coffee