WASHINGTON, D.C. — Tuesday evening, the bipartisan Mathematical and Statistical Modeling Education Act, introduced by Representative Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA), passed the House by a vote of 323 to 92. The bill aims to improve K-12 STEM education by directing the National Science Foundation to provide competitive grants to schools to help modernize the teaching of STEM courses. A bipartisan companion bill has also been introduced in the U.S. Senate where it is being led by Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH).
“We know that STEM education taught in schools today is not keeping pace with the rapidly evolving needs of the public and private sectors,” said Houlahan. “And we know that this lack of skills has a direct correlation with a STEM skills shortage across the country. As an engineer, entrepreneur, and former chemistry teacher, this is personal for me. I know just how vital it is for the next generation and the future workforce of the country.”
“The United States must lead the world in STEM education so that we can continue to innovate and develop technologies that will help strengthen our national security and outcompete China,” said Senator Maggie Hassan. “Our bipartisan legislation would help schools adopt a math curriculum that teaches students how to apply mathematics to real-world scenarios and gain the skills that our innovative businesses need.”
Houlahan and Hassan’s bills have been endorsed by the American Statistical Association, the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences, the Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications, the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the Center for Innovation in Education, and the Business Software Alliance.
- Houlahan and Duckworth Champion Bi-Partisan Drive to Boost Donor Breast Milk Access: Inspired by Paoli Hospital
- Congresswoman Chrissy Houlahan Honors First Responders at YMCA: A Day of Service to Celebrate Goshen Fire Company and West Chester Police Department
- Rep. Houlahan’s Stellar Bipartisan Leadership Honored with Legislative Action Award
- Unlocking Math Success: PA Schools Score Free Access to Accelerate Learning’s Math Nation Resources
- Houlahan Urges Biden for Disaster Support in Berks County, Expresses Concerns about School Reopening