WEST CHESTER, PA — Representative Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA) issued the following statement after The Right to Contraception Act passed on Thursday by a vote of 228 to 195 with eight Republicans joining all Democrats in voting yes:
“With the overturning of Roe, it’s become clear that certain rights and protections that we trusted were settled law are, instead, up for grabs,” said Houlahan. “I was pleased to see 47 Republicans vote to protect marriage equality on Tuesday and I’m glad that today’s vote to protect access to contraception was bipartisan as well. Congress must act now to before the Supreme Court reverses its previous decisions, putting more lives and more families at risk.”
H.R. 8484, The Respect for Marriage Act, passed the House Tuesday by a vote of 267 to 157. This bill would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, enshrine marriage equality under federal law, and provide state-level protections for marriage equality. It now goes to the Senate for consideration.
H.R. 8373, The Right to Contraception Act, passed the House Thursday by a vote of 228 to 195. The bill would establish a right to obtain and use contraceptives and a right for healthcare providers to provide contraception and information related to their use. It now goes to the Senate for consideration.
You May Also Be Interested In…
- Senator Casey Announces Funding for Community Projects in Pennsylvania
- PA SRCC: Governor’s Lawsuit Another Attempt to Stop the People of Pennsylvania From Having a Voice
- Houlahan Bill Bans Oil Exports to Foreign Adversaries
- PennEnvironment Statement: Inflation Reduction Act Could Be a ‘Game Changer’ for Climate and Clean Energy
- PA Federation of Democratic Women Supports Bill to Bar Convicted Domestic Abusers from Holding Office
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.