WEST CHESTER, PA — With food allergies and sensitivities on the rise, holiday hosts are juggling menus and shopping lists to accommodate their guests’ needs. But it’s important to look beyond the ingredients commonly known to cause reactions.
“Many people don’t realize the spices they cook with can be the problem,” says entrepreneur and certified life and health coach Tashelle Darby-Wong of West Chester. After a Thanksgiving scare that landed her eight-month-old son in the hospital with a diagnosis of serious allergies to the top nine allergen food categories, Darby-Wong felt compelled to not let her son’s limited diet restrict flavor. After years of research, she created IrieVeda allergen- and gluten-free spices that are rich in flavor and inspired by her Indian and Jamaican heritage.
In addition to 13 original spice offerings, Darby-Wong created the Baking Spirts Bright bundle, just in time for holiday baking and gift giving. The gift-boxed bundle ($40) includes a half-cup of each spice in sustainable glass bottles with birch wood caps:
- Happy Harvest – All organic cinnamon alba, ginger, mesquite, nutmeg, and clove provide the ideal blend to spice up oatmeal, apple pies, cakes, hot beverages and roasted vegetables.
- Jolly Gingerbread – A warming blend featuring Jamaican allspice and all organic ginger, cinnamon alba, nutmeg and cloves. Ideal for gingerbreads, pumpkin pies, gingersnaps or a hot beverage.
- Cozy Cacao Chai – All organic cacao, mesquite, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cardamom, cloves, fennel, white pepper. Mix 2 to 3 tsp. into 8 ounces of warm milk or water and sweeten to taste!
- 3 Worldly Influenced Recipe Cards (two that are gluten free, vegan and allergen friendly; one without restrictions).
- Bundle of Palo Santo Sticks – Savor the rich scent of lemon, pine and mint to help maintain a loving, calming energy all season long.
“My goal was to make mindful spice blends that are safe, flavorful, and worry-free for everyone,” says Darby-Wong. “The comforting smells and delectable tastes enhance baked goods, beverages and seasonal dishes, transporting you to the best time of the year, whenever and wherever you are.”
Ideal for gift giving, single spices range from $5 to $10, spice blends range from $10 to $12, and spice bundles range from $18 to $50. All items are available at IrieVeda.com.
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.