WEST CHESTER, PA — Verrica Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: VRCA), a dermatology therapeutics company, announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2023.
“The first quarter of 2023 saw continued execution across our pipeline and strengthening of our financial position,” said Ted White, Verrica’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “With the upcoming PDUFA goal date of July 23, we may be poised to reach a major inflection point with the potential approval of YCANTH™ for the treatment of molluscum contagiosum. Molluscum is a dermatological condition that afflicts millions of children each year in the U.S., and with no FDA approved therapies, we believe YCANTH™ has the potential to address this significant unmet medical need. We also made progress with our novel oncolytic peptide, VP-315, which advanced into the second part of our ongoing Phase 2 study in basal cell carcinoma in April 2023 following a positive safety assessment and promising signs of activity from Part 1 of the study.
“We also had the opportunity to strengthen our balance sheet during the quarter, raising an additional $32.5 million in gross proceeds in an underwritten offering to further extend our cash runway. This additional capital will help support our pre-commercial activities for YCANTH™ and fund our ongoing VP-315 Phase 2 study. Looking ahead, we are excited about the progress we expect to make throughout the remainder of the year.”
Business Highlights and Recent Developments
- On February 27, 2023, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) assigned a Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) of July 23, 2023, for Verrica’s New Drug Application (NDA) for YCANTH™ (VP-102), which is being developed for the treatment of molluscum contagiosum (molluscum).
- On January 4, 2023, Verrica announced the successful completion of the technology transfer of bulk solution manufacturing of YCANTH to Piramal Pharma Solutions. The technology transfer includes the completion of the registration batch material, which has been placed on stability, and the manufacture of three process validation batches of bulk solution.
- On April 12, 2023, Verrica announced that the first patient has been dosed in Part 2 of a Phase 2 study evaluating the Company’s potentially first-in-class oncolytic peptide, VP-315, for the treatment of basal cell carcinoma. Part 2 of the Phase 2 trial is designed to further explore dosing regimens to identify the recommended dose for Part 3 of the study, which is expected to start in the first half of 2024.
- On February 21, 2023, the Company announced the pricing of a $32.5 million underwritten offering of common stock and pre-funded warrants.
First Quarter 2023 Financial Results
- Verrica recognized collaboration revenues of $37,000 in the first quarter of 2023 compared to $0.4 million for the same period in 2022 related to the Collaboration and License Agreement with Torii Pharmaceutical Col, Ltd (“Torii”). The collaboration revenue consists of supplies and development activity with Torii.
- Research and development expenses were $2.7 million in the first quarter of 2023, compared to $2.4 million for the same period in 2022. The increase was primarily attributable to additional CMC costs related to the Company’s development of VP-102 for molluscum.
- General and administrative expenses were $4.3 million in the first quarter of 2023, compared to $5.1 million for the same period in 2022. The decrease was primarily related to lower compensation costs due to a reduction in headcount.
- Costs of collaboration revenue were $68,000 for the first quarter of 2023, compared to $0.3 million for the same period in 2022. The decrease of $0.2 million was primarily due to less manufacturing supply required to support development and testing services pursuant to the Torii Clinical Supply Agreement.
- For the first quarter of 2023, net loss on a GAAP basis was $6.6 million, or $0.15 per share, compared to a net loss of $8.5 million, or $0.31 per share, for the same period in 2022.
- For the first quarter of 2023, non-GAAP net loss was $5.5 million, or $0.13 per share, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $6.8 million, or $0.25 per share, for the same period in 2022.
- As of March 31, 2023, Verrica had aggregate cash and cash equivalents of $60.0 million. The Company believes that its existing cash and cash equivalents as of March 31, 2023, will be sufficient to support planned operations into the first quarter of 2024.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In evaluating the operating performance of its business, Verrica dlcared that its management considers non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss and non-GAAP net loss per share. These non-GAAP financial measures exclude stock-based compensation charges and non-cash interest expense that are required by GAAP. Verrica believes that non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss and non-GAAP net loss per share provides useful information to both management and investors by excluding the effect of certain non-cash expenses and items that Verrica believes may not be indicative of its operating performance, because either they are unusual and Verrica does not expect them to recur in the ordinary course of its business, or they are unrelated to the ongoing operation of the business in the ordinary course. Non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss and non-GAAP net loss per share should be considered in addition to results prepared in accordance with GAAP, but should not be considered a substitute for, or superior to, GAAP results. Non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss and non-GAAP net loss per share have been reconciled to the nearest GAAP measure withing the Company’s original declaration.
For the latest news on everything happening in Chester County and the surrounding area, be sure to follow MyChesCo on Google News.