VALLEY FORGE, PA — AmerisourceBergen, a global healthcare company, released its 2020 Global Sustainability Report and ESG Reporting Index, detailing the impact of its robust sustainability and community efforts. This year, AmerisourceBergen made its report available through the launch of a new microsite, which serves as a comprehensive, interactive resource to showcase data, information and relevant assets from the company in connection with topics related to ESG. For the third year in a row, selected information within the 2020 report was assured by ERM Certification and Verification Services.
“Creating healthier futures starts with protecting the health of people and our planet. As a purpose-driven industry leader with a global footprint, we have an obligation to do all we can to champion global sustainability and corporate responsibility as an integral cornerstone of our AmerisourceBergen business,” said Gina Clark, EVP, Chief Communications and Administration Officer at AmerisourceBergen. “We are proud of the work we’ve done with our stakeholders, partners and associates to bring about positive change, and I look forward to building on this progress to create a permanent impact.”
AmerisourceBergen’s Corporate Responsibility and Global Sustainability strategy focuses on key priorities that align with their services and belief. The 2020 report and microsite detail several notable milestones achieved by AmerisourceBergen in the past year, including:
COVID-19 Response: The role of AmerisourceBergen in the healthcare supply chain has never been more critical than during a worldwide health crisis like COVID-19. Without pause or disruption, AmerisourceBergen continued to deliver more than four million products daily to healthcare providers serving human and animal patients. By partnering with health agencies and monitoring government guidance, AmerisourceBergen navigated new ways of working to focus on the increased needs of the global community and wellbeing of our people. Efforts included increased financial support through the Associate Assistance Fund, additional paid time off, and mental health resources and telemedicine for associates most impacted by COVID-19. The company also supplied Protective Personal Equipment (PPE) to frontline workers and health partners serving in the community.
Inspired Team Members: Around the globe, AmerisourceBergen engages its team members and fosters a diverse and inclusive workforce. The company strives to provide a safe, supportive work environment where people can be their authentic selves, the company’s purpose is shared and individuality is celebrated. Specific 2020 initiatives included:
- Diversity and Inclusion: AmerisourceBergen conducted a comprehensive situation assessment, advanced its diversity and inclusion strategy, and added a new Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer role. The Human Rights Campaign awarded AmerisourceBergen a perfect score of 100 percent on its Corporate Equality Index for the third consecutive year.
- Fostering Talent: The company has made thoughtful investments to build its talent and culture throughout 2020, and partnered with leaders across the organization to create a new, integrated talent framework aligned to business strategy and purpose. Leadership and professional development programs continue to be key resources for associates, as well as tuition reimbursement, mentorship programs and the opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups.
Resilient Operations: AmerisourceBergen is committed to sustainable and responsible operations across the supply chain and deploys sophisticated systems and innovates to improve efficiency, product safety and quality. 2020 highlights include:
- Climate Adaptation & Energy Management: AmerisourceBergen is focused on adaptation strategies, including those that address social impacts and the risks to our physical assets. The company reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 5% through continued energy efficiency projects and innovations.
- Waste Management, Recycling & Sustainable Packaging: AmerisourceBergen achieved a 79% waste diversion at its U.S. human health locations. The company also transitioned to more innovative and sustainable packaging options made from non-toxic, plant-based refrigerant for its cold chain shippers.
Healthy Communities: AmerisourceBergen strives to help enable healthy and resilient communities. In 2020, the company rolled out myCommunityImpact, a matching gifts and Dollars-for-Doers program, to all global associates. Collectively, AmerisourceBergen donated more than $1 million to 750+ organizations through this program. Additional 2020 highlights include:
- AmerisourceBergen Foundation: The AmerisourceBergen Foundation, an independent, not-for-profit charitable giving organization, focused on investing in communities and partnering with organizations to expand access to quality healthcare, promote health equity and provide resources to encourage prescription drug safety. The Foundation’s global impact in 2020 included making nearly $10 million in donations to 100+ organizations, including $1 million committed to COVID-19 funding. The Foundation also hosted its second annual Grantee and Non-Profit Partner Conference focused on strategies to address pandemic resilience, social justice and racial equality, and health disparities and community improvement. More than 150 participants representing 60 non-profit partners joined the virtual event.
- Corporate Giving: AmerisourceBergen donated nearly $2 million in corporate giving to global non-profits and community-based organizations, many supporting efforts to promote social justice and health equity. The company also provided nearly $3 million in over-the-counter product donations to organizations, and donated excess inventory to enable medical teams to dispense medications to underserved populations and those impacted by natural disasters and the COVID-19 pandemic.
Visit sustainability.amerisourcebergen.com for more information on AmerisourceBergen’s 2020 Global Sustainability Report.
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.