HARRISBURG, PA — Rep. Stephen E. Barrar (R-Chester/Delaware) took the oath of office on Tuesday, January 1, 2019, to begin his 12th term representing the people of the 160th District in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
Barrar will continue as the majority chairman for the Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee, which oversees legislation dealing with veterans’ issues, disaster relief, homeland security, fire and emergency services matters, and the readiness of the Pennsylvania National Guard.
“Serving in this leadership position for the last eight years has been an honor, and I am eager to continue this important work for our military and first responders. Without dedicating both attention and action to the challenges facing these important groups, we risk sacrificing the safety they provide to all Pennsylvanians,” Barrar said.
In the upcoming session, Barrar is eager to cultivate relationships by working with his colleagues in the House and the Senate, as well as with the administration’s state agencies which his committee oversees. He also has a number of goals for the Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee:
- Finalize into law legislation that modernizes the Title 35 Emergency Management Code.
- Address the funding, personnel and training needs of Pennsylvania’s fire and EMS organizations through the implementation of Senate Resolution 6 initiatives.
- Create or enhance programs for our veterans and their families.
- Update archaic provisions regarding our National Guard when they serve on state active duty and enhance the National Guard College Tuition Assistance Program.
- Establish a program to address the post-traumatic needs of our emergency responders.
- Secure funding for Pennsylvania’s National Guard Youth Challenge Program.
The 160th Pennsylvania House of Representatives District is located in Chester County and Delaware County and includes Kennett Square, Kennett Township, Pennsbury Township, Pocopson Township, and others.
Source: Representative Stephen E. Barrar, 160th District, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.