PHILADELPHIA, PA — On Saturday, April 23, 2022, people in Greater Philadelphia and South New Jersey are invited to take part in a full day of family-friendly activities on the Circuit Trails, the region’s developing 800-mile trail network as part of Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s (RTC’s) annual Celebrate Trails Day. Events will take place throughout the region all day on Saturday, and in the days following.
Kicking off a weekend of celebration is the official opening of the final segment of the Schuylkill River Trail in Chester County on Friday, April 22. Join the Circuit Trails Coalition at Fricks Lock Road at 2 p.m. in Pottstown to take part in the celebration.
More than 350 miles of the Circuit Trails network are complete across nine counties. When the entire network is complete, more than 50 percent of the region’s population—more than 3.1 million people—will live within 1 mile of the Circuit Trails network.
Other events happening in honor of Celebrate Trails Day include:
April 23, 2022
- Merchantville Trail: Join the Circuit Trails Coalition and RTC at Eclipse Brewing, 25 E Park Ave, Merchantville, NJ 08109 at 12:00 p.m. to learn about how this trail will soon be expanding as part of the larger Burlington-Camden Trail vision. Participants can enjoy bike tune-ups, pony rides and live music. Reds Rolling Restaurant will offer free food for the first 50 attendees and Movement 4 Wellness is offering a fitness and nutrition class.
- D&R Canal Towpath: Join Trenton Cycling Revolution and Tri-State Transportation Campaign at 9:00 a.m. at Sherman Avenue & Cortland Street, Trenton, NJ 08611 to beautify the connector between the East Trenton neighborhood and the D&R Canal Towpath.
- Pennypack on the Delaware Park: Join River North Partnership at 7801 State Road Philadelphia, PA from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for a spring tree planting event. Participants must register in advance for details.
- Lawrence Hopewell Trail: Join the Lawrence Hopewell Trail’s Saturday Morning Walking Club at the trails’ ETS Segment lot on Assessment Road south of Messick Hall, near the trail kiosk, at 9:30 a.m. After brief greetings, participants will divide into two groups, with walkers going north and bicycle riders going south. Walkers will head to the historic truss bridge over the Stony Brook, and then turn back.
- Petty’s Island: Join the Center for Aquatic Sciences at 9:30 a.m. for Trails Day on Petty’s Island. Participants will tour the island and learn about the island’s wildlife, history, plans for the future and how to protect this space. Registration is required.
- Schuylkill Center: Join the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 8480 Hagys Mill Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19128 for Naturepalooza. The event features live music, activity tables, nature hikes and food trucks.
- Tacony Creek Park Trail: Join TTF Watershed Partnership for a BioBlitz and trail clean-up at 5180 Bingham St, Philadelphia, PA 19120 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Volunteers are encouraged to use the free iNaturalist smartphone app to document wildlife observations across the TTF Watershed.
April 24, 2022
- Tacony Creek Park Trail: Join Cheltenham Township Environmental Advisory Council, TTF Watershed Partnership, Pennsylvania Environmental Council and other partners 5180 Bingham St, Philadelphia, PA 19120 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for a Trail Fest for Earth Day weekend on April 24. Activities include snacks, bird walks and guided hikes. A trail cleanup event will happen prior to the Trail Fest at 9:00 a.m.
- Schuylkill River Trail: Join Schuylkill River Greenways for their Opening Trails Day Cleanup from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 1281 East Main St. Douglassville, PA 19518.
April 27, 2022
- Newtown Rail Trail: Join Bucks County Planning Commission at the former Southampton Train Station 613 2nd Street Pike, Southampton, PA 18966 at 9:00 a.m. for a ribbon-cutting of the first phase of the Newtown Rail Trail in Upper Southampton Township. The trail now connects Bucks County to the popular Pennypack Trail in neighboring Montgomery County.
Hosted on the fourth Saturday of April each year, Celebrate Trails Day is an annual celebration of the nation’s trails and the benefits they bring to our health and well-being. More than 170 partner organizations and thousands of people from all 50 states and Washington, D.C., plan to take part in Celebrate Trails Day. Those who participated in Celebrate Trails Day in 2021 reported spending on average more than 90 minutes being active outside, exceeding the CDC’s physical activity guidelines.
Celebrate Trails Day is supported by “Parks for All” championed by Hydro Flask, Athletic Brewing Company, Catrike, Clif Family Foundation, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Active People, Healthy Nation” initiative, Dogfish Head, Mirrycle, the Recreate Responsibly Coalition, IZIP and Warm Peet.
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.