WEST CHESTER, PA — Celebrating West Chester University’s 150th anniversary, “Once Upon a West Chester” is the theme for WCU’s 2021 Homecoming taking place Friday, October 1, through Sunday, Oct. 3. Students have multiple opportunities to enjoy the enchanted theme during the week, from a fairy tale movie marathon to virtual fairy tale trivia.
The Alumni Association welcomes returning Golden Rams alumni for reunions and other events all weekend, among them:
- Christine Laperriere, author of Too Busy to Be Happy, gives a virtual interactive resiliency workshop. Participants learn 20 resiliency tips and tricks to that are practical tools for dealing with the everyday challenges to grow your work-life wisdom. This Zoom session takes place Thursday, September 30, from 7 to 9 p.m. and is open to the public (registration is required). Hosted by the MBA Alumni Chapter.
- WCU’s Museum of Anthropology and Sociology will host alumni visits to its two current exhibits from 4 to 6 p.m. on Friday, October 1:
- Curator-led tour of the WCU 150: History & Heritage Museum Exhibition, Francis Harvey Green Library main floor. Artifacts donated by alumni and from the WCU archives and Special Collections show the University’s evolution. Alumni are invited to bring West Chester mementoes to add to the see-through time capsule.
- Earth Day at 50: Lessons for a Sustainable Future exhibit, Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology, Old Library. Student co-curators will share how they created this exhibition during the pandemic as well as the significance of the individual elements. Click here to view the virtual exhibition.
- For more information: [email protected] or call 610-436-2247.
- To kick off Saturday, students and the rest of the campus community can join alumni for complimentary Homecoming Yoga on the Academic Quad from 8 to 9 a.m.
Saturday really gets going when the Incomparable Golden Rams Marching Band strikes up the music at 10 a.m. at the family-friendly Bibbidi-Bobbidi Block Party Saturday at Ram Park on Roslyn Avenue behind Sykes Student Union. Enjoy carnival-style food, snacks, giveaways, and lawn games plus caricaturists, a moon bounce, photo booth, and more — all free — from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Also at 10 a.m., the field hockey team takes on IUP at Vonnie Gros Field on South Campus.
From the block party, hi-ho, hi-ho, it’s off to the game we go! Everyone is invited to meet at 1:30 p.m. at Ram Park to walk with the Ram Squad on a “Ram Route” down to Farrell Stadium for the football game. Get WCU spirit swag at the block party in advance.
Kickoff is at 2 p.m. for the WCU vs. Bloomsburg football game at Farrell Stadium. Tickets are free for WCU students, faculty, and staff with ID. To avoid the traffic on South New Street, park in M Lot and take the special football shuttles that will run between 12 and 6 p.m.
The fun continues after the game with a free Virtual Comedy Show at 5 p.m. featuring Pete Lee, who’s performed on late-night TV shows, Comedy Central, and on NBC’s Last Comic Standing. Watch from home or at a viewing party at Timothy’s of West Chester (929 South High Street) courtesy of the Alumni Association.
Homecoming Weekend concludes with the traditional community-wide Adopt-a-Block event organized by our student organizations, which join alumni, faculty, and staff to clean up the community. Participants meet at Sykes Student Union Patio at 9 a.m. Sunday, October 3 (rain or shine).
For more information, visit WCU’s Homecoming website.
While enjoying Homecoming festivities, attendees are being asked to observe the WCU Covid protocol to wear a mask indoors and on the shuttles regardless of vaccination status.
Thanks for visiting! Looking for some Chester County pride? We got you covered! Shop our MyChesCo store and show your love for Chester County, Pennsylvania. We got shirts, hats, and more – all with a unique ChesCo flair. Plus, proceeds from each purchase helps support our mission of bringing reliable information and resources to the people of Chester County.