HARRISBURG, PA — Pennsylvania Secretary of Banking and Securities Robin L. Wiessmann recently commended students from a record-setting 19 teams from 13 Pennsylvania colleges and universities who will be competing in the 2019 Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) Community Bank Case Study Competition.
The Community Bank Case Study Competition is open to undergraduate students in all fields of study as an opportunity to gain valuable first-hand knowledge of the banking industry. This year, each student team will research how the federal Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act (S.2155) passed in May will impact community banks and the markets they serve.
“Banks and their regulators must work to build and maintain ‘bench strength’ with the next generation of leaders, to ensure continuity of institutional knowledge and professional excellence,” said Wiessmann. “I am excited to see that the number of Pennsylvania colleges and universities choosing to compete on a national stage has quadrupled in the past two years, indicating increasing interest in financial services careers among young people. We are cheering them on as they compete for this year’s prize.”
Of the 88 student teams competing nationwide, Pennsylvania is represented by the following schools and bank partners:
- Bloomsburg University (Bloomsburg, Columbia County), working with Mid Penn Bank
- Cabrini University (Radnor, Delaware County), working with Hyperion Bank and The Bryn Mawr Trust Company (2 teams)
- California University of Pennsylvania (California, Washington County), working with Mars Bank
- Immaculata University (Malvern, Chester County), working with First Resource Bank and The National Bank of Malvern (2 teams)
- Juniata College (Huntingdon, Huntingdon County), working with Kish Bank
- Kutztown University (Kutztown, Berks County), working with New Tripoli Bank
- Mansfield University (Mansfield, Tioga County), working with Citizens & Northern Bank
- Moravian College (Bethlehem, Northampton County), working with Lafayette Ambassador Bank
- Muhlenberg College (Allentown, Lehigh County), working with QNB Bank (2 teams)
- Temple University (Philadelphia), working with Penn Community Bank
- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown (Johnstown, Cambria County), working with Somerset Trust Company and 1st Summit Bank (2 teams)
- Ursinus College (Collegeville, Montgomery County), working with Victory Bank
- York College of Pennsylvania (York, York County), working with York Traditions Bank, PeoplesBank, and Fulton Bank (3 teams)
The student teams are competing for an academic scholarship, a chance for to get their work published in an academic journal and an opportunity to attend the annual CSBS-Federal Reserve Community Banking Research Conference, held in St Louis this October.
Anyone can contact the Department of Banking and Securities at 1-800-PA-BANKS.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities
Thanks for visiting! MyChesCo brings reliable information and resources to Chester County, Pennsylvania. Please consider supporting us in our efforts. Your generous donation will help us continue this work and keep it free of charge. Show your support today by clicking here and becoming a patron.