EAST PIKELAND, PA — Scott Overland, a resident of East Pikeland, announced his campaign for School Board Director on the Phoenixville Area School Board. Overland brings more than a decade of education experience in the public and private sectors as he seeks to join the School Board and help continue the Phoenixville Area School District’s climb up the rankings of Pennsylvania school districts.
As the husband of a teacher in the Owen J. Roberts School District, father of two children who will be attending PASD schools, and the director of media relations for Pearson, the world’s leading education company, Overland has a deep passion for ensuring access to a high-quality public education for all children. His work experience also includes six years on Capitol Hill working for members with a strong commitment to public education, including former US Senator Joe Lieberman and former Congressman and current Governor of Colorado, Jared Polis.
“It would be a privilege and honor to serve the Phoenixville Area community as a School Board Director, helping to ensure that every student in our district has access to a first-rate education in safe, state-of-the-art schools,” said Scott Overland. “Our community, faculty, and current Board members have navigated through unimaginably difficult circumstances over the past nine months and deserve thanks and appreciation for their commitment. If elected, I would be ready to build on their hard work and help make the Phoenixville Area School District one of the best in the Commonwealth.”
Overland has outlined six top priorities he would pursue if elected:
- Attract and maintain a world-class faculty through competitive salaries, supportive leadership, and an environment that encourages and rewards creativity and innovation
- Diversify school leadership and staff
- Build out communications capabilities and strategy to highlight positive stories from around the district
- Give back to our local community, while helping students gain an appreciation of civics education and real-world experience with volunteer and internship programs
- Revenue neutral reform of occupation tax
- Work with local governments to encourage smart growth to build the tax base
Scott earned his BA from Muhlenberg College in Allentown and his JD from American University in Washington, DC. He and his wife Katie, a special education teacher in the Owen J Roberts School District, have two children who will attend PASD schools, Addie (4) and Logan (1).